Both kids are in school.

Aren't they cute?


When I asked them to look at me to get a picture at their desk, they both put their heads down like this. Separate times, separate classrooms, same thing. Think they were sick of pictures that morning?
________________________________________________________
Some moms are really sad when their kids start school, I was... jumping for joy. In fact I felt like making a paper chain to count down the days in August. (Good thing my kids don't read this blog, but just in case: Love you guys!!!! Smooches!!!)
I miss my kids and it makes me sad that they aren't the little toddlers they used to be. Thank goodness they aren't the little toddlers they used to be. Those guys kicked my butt. (That's why it took us five years to add a third Trenklet.) We love the relaxed, schedule free days of summer, but since all good things must end I'm excited that school gives me a seven hour break, five days a week. I'm excited that Faith and Deac now both have school friends and activities. I'm excited when they come home and share the new information they learned. But I'm really excited for the seven hour break every day. What? Did I already say that?
What makes me sad? The next time summer comes around, with its lazy mornings and Popsicle afternoons, I will have a third grader and a first grader. And the next time it happens again my kids will be in 4th and 2nd. The horror!! About the time Faith hits junior high, baby Zavier will be Kindergarten Zavier and I will be closer to 40 than 30. Can that be right? Dang, I'm getting old.
My life is now marked by school years, from now until the end. I'm sliding down a slippery slope toward high school graduation and I want a pause button. Just like on my DVR. With a 10 second rewind. I want my kids to enjoy their school days while I enjoy my seven hour break, but please, please Faithy and Deacy and Zaby, please stop growing up.


2 comments:
I love this post because I feel exactly the same way! I was so excited it was school time that I woke up early! Man!!! I'm so excited for everything new... new clothes, new classrooms, new friends, new homework, new stories... I love back to school time!
Motherhood is definitely bittersweet, huh? And a 3-month summer break does make even the sweetest of us LOOOVE the the start of school. AND you are absolutely right about time being marked by school years. Every year is busier & faster....crazy. Your kids are adorable, and I'm enjoying having Faith in my class!
Post a Comment