Saturday, September 20, 2008

Homecoming and Kindergarten

Faith was chosen as the kindergarten princess for Homecoming. (Don't ask me, it's a really small town) It was a fun night for her: she got a new dress, wore a corsage and got to ride in a fancy car around the field. Then she held the crown before the queen was announced.


Getting ready before the game



Ready to go


My beautiful daughter with my handsome son



Never too serious


Faithy and Michael, the kindergarten Prince



On the field... just a little nervous or she's practicing the skinny look




With the newly crowned King and Queen

Faith is a very insightful little girl and a question she asked really made me think. As we were getting ready we were talking about the people from her class that we thought we would see at the game. She said that she wished that all her friends could also be the homecoming attendants and that they could ride in a big car all together. I said, "I know, but only one boy and girl gets chosen." She replied,
"But is that fair?"
That was a simple question but so thoughtful from a five-year-old. She was the one that was chosen, but she was thinking about how that affected her friends.
In life (not just homecoming) some are chosen and some are not. It's fun for the people chosen, but feels kind of bad for those that aren't. Now that Faith has started school it really has hit me- the challenges that lay ahead for her. I hope I can teach her to enjoy the times that she is one of the chosen, but to retain perspective on what that means. That her worth comes from who she is and she is special regardless of the honors and awards (or lack thereof) and to always look at others that same way.

But on a lighter note, when I told Faith which little boy was going to be in homecoming with her, she replied, "Oh, I wish it were Trent." Imagine me rolling my eyes and laughing. (Not that she doesn't like cute little Michael, but she LOVES Trent.) oh no.........

5 comments:

Amy Breeden said...

Cate, you are an awesome mother! It for sure shows in your insightful and thoughtful little spunky daughter. She is too cute!

Tonya said...

Like mother, like daughter! You both are beautiful inside and out. Thanks so much for sharing the joy!

Dirty Fingernails said...

I have never heard of Kindergarten Homecoming Princess, but she does look darn cute.. I would think that would be something down here in the South they would do.. As for the pink m&m's I am addicted.. They are a weakness of mine. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Mrs. B said...

Hey Cate! I was so excited to see the movie...glad to see the SATC girls again. I thought it was good...I laughed, I cried, etc :)
And yes that is Jane! Are you excited to find her too?! I lost touch with her for a few years (about 2-3 years ago) cause she kept moving on me but I found her through our old roommate Rachael's blog. Her email is
mccallisters@gmail.com
She has an adorable little boy and looks great.

Steven said...

Hey Catherine!!! I was thrilled to see your comment on our blog. I was thinking oh, she must have found it through some old ISU friends, then I was snooping on your blog and realized you and Melissa are friends. I had totally forgot about that. I will have to tell Steven about you guys, he has mentioned a few times that he wondered where the Trinkles ended up. Again, good to hear from you, keep in touch.